Caragh National School is a Catholic school under the patronage of the Bishop of Kildare and Leighlin.
The original school started in 1832 and was one of the oldest in Ireland. It was located behind Coffey’s, next to the graveyard. When it first started it was a two-teacher school. With the growth of Caragh village, the number of children on the roll doubled between 1945 and 1960. A third teacher was appointed in 1949. By 1960, it was a four-teacher school and there were 167 children on the roll. Paddy Power was appointed principal in 1955.
As a result of the increase in numbers a new site across the road was purchased from Coffey’s and a new school building opened in 1963. This new school consisted of four classrooms, a library, toilets and cloakroom. This part of the building was still in use until February 2010. Numbers continued to increase and, as a result, an extension consisting of five classrooms was built in the 1990s.
With an enrolment of 540 pupils, the staff of Caragh National School currently consists of principal, Mary Dunne, 19 mainstream teachers, 7 resource teachers, a secretary and 3 Special Needs Assistants. As the school continued to grow and develop, building of a new school began in January 2010. The first phase, consisting of classrooms, offices, GP room and a library, was completed in December 2010. The school was completed in the Summer of 2011.